La Cañada Flintridge is Making a Difference as we search for our first Sister City
Introduction Video . January 2017
What is a Sister City?
A sister city relationship is a long-term, cooperative relationship between two cities in different countries through which cultural, educational, business, and technical exchanges take place.
The mission of sister cities is to promote peace through mutual respect, cooperation, and understanding—one individual, one community at a time.
Most sister city organizations are nonprofits staffed by volunteers from throughout the community, including students, teachers, businesspeople, artists, municipal employees, elected officials, health professionals, retirees, and everyone in between.
La Cañada Flintridge Sister Cities Association, Inc.
The LCF Sister Cities Association was incorporated as a California nonprofit public benefit corporation in early 2016. The City generously provided leadership and start-up funding and is helping send six local high school students to the Sister Cities International Youth Leadership Summit in Washington D.C. in July 2016.
A sister city program is an incredible opportunity to travel, build partnerships, promote peace and understanding, and have fun! The benefits to our community include:
- Making new friends around the world and learning about other cultures as well as our own
- Offering young people their first opportunity to travel abroad as a guest and not just a tourist
- Participating in arts and cultural exchanges
- Allowing for almost any type of exchange and letting people pursue activities that they are passionate about
- Creating a civic organization that anyone in our community can participate in, regardless of profession or background
- Being part of a 60 year-old peace-building movement
Support at the National Level
Founded by President Eisenhower in 1956, Sister Cities International is the national nonprofit, volunteer organization serving the sister city programs of over 570 U.S. cities with more than 2,300 partnerships in 150 countries worldwide.
La Cañada Flintridge Sister Cities Association, Inc. is a registered tax-exempt organization as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; EIN No. 81-1880374.
Special Thanks to the following Members & Donors
• Todd & Vanessa Greco • Heather & Paul Haaga • Gita & Harpal Singh •
• Descanso Gardens • La Cañada Flintridge Community Center • St. Francis High School •
• Carl & Bridget Alameda • Julie & Dave Battaglia • Amy Bernhard • Celina Lew & Edward Castro • Gabriel Mendham & Steve Chuck • Jonathan & Lisa Curtis • Elysa & Stephen Del Guercio • R Guerra • Julie & Fred Engler • Jim & Stephanie Kambe • Peter & Teri Lauenstein • Julie & Lance Markowitz • Diane & Jon Moldafsky • Linda O’Callaghan • Laura & Bill Ohlasso • Kaitzer & Joe Puglia • Linda & R. Fernando Roth • Stephanie Fossan & Kai Ryssdal • Vicki & Brad Schwartz • Mary VanAmringe • Donald & Lynn Voss • Clarissa & Brad Weirick • The Steele Wright Family •